Thursday, June 24, 2004

Hellamarketers

This complaint is nothing new: Telemarketers.

I appreciate the fact that these people are simply making a living. I'm sure they have bills to pay and mouths to feed just like the rest of us. That doesn't change the fact that they annoy the hell out of me.

Take tonight for example. I will be going in to work tonight at 10pm. I made an attempt around 7:30pm to lay down and possibly get a couple hours of rest before having to head out to work. Impossible. The phone kept ringing...and ringing... Finally, at one point, I picked it up and yelled "quit calling!" and slammed the phone down.

I actually got rid of my home phone about a year ago and decided to use my cell phone exclusively. My better half's parents stay with us for a few months out of the year and had the home phone hooked up again.

And the calls began.

They have an vowel filled Italian last name - which the telemarketers trip over each and every time. The recent trend has been that when the answering machine picks up, they ask if Mr. xxxxx is home. First off, if you can't tell that the voice you heard is a fricking answering machine, then you don't deserve to access such an advanced device as a telephone. This is how you make your living and you can't distinguish the words "leave a message at the tone" from "hello?". You have issues. Secondly, I kinda have a clue that perhaps you want to sell something when you completely butcher up the name beyond recognition. Perhaps I should begin telemarking some "hooked on phonics" your way.

Furthermore, I propose that a law be passed that should said telemarketer fail to properly pronounce the name of the individual whom they are calling, that they shall be held liable for no less than 2x their annual salary for damages.

Next time they call I think I'll pick up. I think I'll tell them that I want to buy whatever they are selling and do they accept Visa? I will then tell them to hold on while I go get my card. Then I'll just leave the phone off the hook while they sit there waiting.. and go take a nap.

1 Comments:

At December 17, 2004 at 6:20 AM, Blogger WakefireVP said...

"Then I'll just leave the phone off the hook while they sit there waiting.. and go take a nap."

That is priceless! I am definitely doing that the next time I get a telemarketing call. Another thing I like to do to them is start talking about random things from life, real or not. I had one lady completely convinced that I had been molested at summer camp when I was 12, she was nearly in tears. I actually felt bad about that one...until I realized that she had called during dinner and that between her call, and my augmented childhood tale of trauma, my spaghetti was ice cold, and what’s worse than ice-cold spaghetti, really?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home