Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Hurricane Frances

Well, it's quite obvious that I haven't had a lot to write about lately. Tonight I do. I guess it's nothing more than a way to vent some plain old fashioned fear. Hurricane Frances is churning away right now working it's way towards the states. Living in South Florida, this is really nothing too new... but this is the first time I can honestly say I'm worried. Here's why:


As it stands right now, I'm right in the projected path - although it's still a few days out and the probability forecast is still a bit uncertain. I guess it's just one of those bad feelings. I called countless stores (Home Depot, Lowe's, etc) trying to locate some plywood to board up my windows with. Everybody is sold out. Went to the Home depot to the north of me around 7:30pm. The 8pm shipment hadn't arrived yet and was already sold out. There *might* be a 11pm shipment and the line was already forming. Did I mention I don't have a truck? I am having to depend on friends to hopefully be available at the same time the plywood is. I work 8am - 6pm tomorrow. Fat chance of finding anything after that. Oh, and my house is frame and stucco. Not exactly hurricane friendly material (well, unless you're a hurricane I guess).

Tonight I started gathering supplies. Water, batteries, candles, flashlights, matches.... Found my mortgage paperwork and my homeowners insurance. It's taped up in a garbage bag right now. Considered the option of evacuating early, just not sure where to go - not even sure where the hurricane is going. Charging the digital camera up so I can take pictures of some of the more expensive items in the house for insurance purposes. The cordless drill is charging just in case I actually get my hands on some plywood.

It's a weird feeling knowing that something very bad is coming and feeling totally helpless on what to do or where to go. I just pray that this thing takes some drastic turn and all the worry was for nothing. I really hope in the end I simply look ridiculously stupid for putting all these thoughts down for a hurricane that never came close. I would much enjoy sitting in the comforts of my home thinking about what I dork I was to worry rather than think back to what this moment was like to sit in my safe, dry little house that I'm so proud of that no longer exists.

4 Comments:

At September 3, 2004 at 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, just wanted to wish you good luck. *hugs*

 
At September 20, 2004 at 11:13 PM, Blogger Putnam Pig said...

Thanks for the well wishes! We made it through wonderfully. Definitely not an experience I wish to repeat any time soon though ;)

 
At September 22, 2004 at 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know what would have been cool? After the hurricane passed, you could have broken out the old battery powered circa 1987 boom box, popped in a cassette of Scorpions "Rock You Like a Hurricane", cranked it up to 10 and done a little hurricane survivor dance on the front lawn.

I'm not sure what a hurricane survivor dance would look like except it would involve alot of gyrating and fist pumping.

Glad you're okay. Let me know if you want to borrow a boombox and Scorpions cassette.

Eric
www.wideeyedinsolence.com

 
At September 22, 2004 at 11:21 PM, Blogger Putnam Pig said...

Well, we considered that, but figured we should do something different than our standard weekend routine of belting out 80's tunes in the front lawn. Besides, the cassette player was wrapped in plastic and we didn't have power for the turntable. We'll try to be better prepared for next time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home